Friday, March 17, 2006

Its 10:00 and do you know where you money is?

Well as some of you readers may know, I hope to one day be the President.
Some of the things I would like to do as President is add trained Therapists and Social Workers to public schools.
I would like to have a good ratio of students to them as well, so that help is ALWAYS available when needed.
Having been in (what seem like a different life) a scape-goat at a public school I know what it feel like to be miserable due to school situations and have nobody in that setting you can truly talk to about it.
One guidance counselor for hundreds of kids is ridiculous.
In my old school the guidance counselor had no idea what so ever as to what he was doing.
I can't be the first one too have made this connection, but doesn't it seem like the largest "known" issues are occurring in public schools?
Obviously I would like to bring on universal healthcare, but I don't think I need to go in-depth as to why.
One thing I will have to do is raise taxes, it seems obvious that the Republicans have a theory for re-entering office.
Their idea is too run us so far into debt that when a competent leader enters office he has no other choice but to raise taxes.
The current national debt as of 3/14/06 is $8,270,260,017,
Recently Bush's administration held a meeting about this problem, however their meeting was not to devise a plan to help this situation but to raise the national debt limit to 9 trillion dollars which for those of you keeping up on this situation, is enough money to buy 28 Eiffel Towers made of gold.
Just in case any ignorant religious right-wingers come across this article I want to set down for the record that truly love this country...
But if positive changes are not made soon we are apt to become a TRUE poverty stricken country (if we still exist at all that is).
I feel that the true power of America should not be millitary based, but I feel it should be academic and available to all.
Maybe instead of donating 1.9 Billion dollars a day to the military we can think of the future of our nation.
So I say to you all now, learn and protect your rights, the less we know the more we can be fucked with.

3 comments:

Lizzy said...

Bravo!!

Snave said...

Great post. I think this may well have been what Lennon was referring to when he sang "Power To The People".

I know what you mean about school guidance counselors. Where I live, at the grade schools they teach lessons to classrooms of kids and don't have a lot of time to meet individually with students in need. Counseling positions have been cut to the point that principals now double as counselors at two of our town's four grade schools. At our middle school there is one counselor for 400 kids. I'm not sure what she does; she is a very good individual, certainly the school could find a better way to make use of her talents. Our high school of about 800 kids has two counselors who are both excellent and who are usually available to students who need help.

It's sad the way our schools keep having to cut valuable programs to stay alive. We have seen PE get cut, Music get cut, industrial arts get cut, and lots of teachers getting cut. We hear the right-wing mantra of how bad schools are, but the complainers don't get it. Schools are getting worse in some respects because they are faced with increasing costs, decreasing available funds, unfunded mandates like No Child Left Behind, and Republicans who don't like public enployees and public education... and want to privatize everything. Sigh...

You make a lot of good points.

Anonymous said...

I do have a lot to say regarding public schools. I'll start by saying, I am opposed to anyone in any field that cannot be fired. This includes bad teachers, counselors, service industry, garbage collectors, blue collar/white collar etc. Growing up, I had my share. Even as young as middle school, I knew some of my teachers were just going through the motions. There needs to be a check/balance system to rid our schools of these bad teachers. I remember as a junior in high school a new teacher who taught Social Studies that I had. He was brand new at teaching. He made our class come alive with his knowledge and interaction with us. Sadly, that teacher (Mr. Kleven/I still haven't forgotten 30 years later) was let go due to budget cuts etc. by my senior year. How sad that so many bad teachers got to stay.
We need better solutions than tenure.
Laura
Mom